Monday, May 18, 2009

Tofu -- who knew!

by Jacki
I'd like to say "amen" to Nidhi's post on eating a light, healthy dinner to feel less guilty about eating a sweet treat. I'm completely on board, so much that my recent strategy is to eat a dinner that's 100 calories or less.

Before you go and write this off as obvious post-dancer body dysmorphic disorder (you wouldn't be totally wrong), I ask that you first recognize this: it's all in the name of research.

I'm currently exploring and creating recipes for my dessert blog. I figure if I'm going to choose baking as a hobby and still fit into my jeans, I have no choice but to take a gastronomical blow for the team. (That's Team Jacki and Moffit, my cat. Below is a picture of her atop my favorite cookie book with her tongue out. She's my number one fan!).


I certainly can't ask Moffit to cut back on her Sheba, so it's up to me to eat low calorie, low fat dinners to leave plenty of room for brownies, cookies, and the like.

I have found such a perfect dinner in Steak and Garlic Tofu by House Foods. Having always been a fan of tofu in soups and other dishes, I stumbled across this product one night when I was craving stir-fry broccoli but didn't want to purchase chicken to complement it.


And yes, I really eat it with chopsticks -- that wasn't just creative food staging!

Nutrition facts first: a 1/4 of a package has 90 calories, 4 grams of fat, is cholesterol free, and packs 11 grams of protein.

Price range: under $2 bucks, and you can get 3 to 4 servings off of it. This is a frugal woman's dream!

How it looks: I'm thinking that the tofu people need to discover a more appetizing, aesthetic process for packaging this stuff. It just looks like a giant gelatinous brick of moving gunk with flecks of pepper in it. YACK. No wonder people think I'm crazy when I buy this stuff.

Fresh out of the package: Taste this stuff without cooking it first, and it's as flavorless as flour.

Make it wok: Heat some olive oil, dice up the tofu and add to the wok with a little bit of sea salt. In 5 to 7 minutes you have sharp, peppery, garlicy-goodness defining itself in your mouth. It's so good -- and strangely satisfying!

If you had to dip it in anything (which you don't in my opinion) you could always reach for Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce. This sauce also spices up chicken and noodle dishes without having to do anything more than unscrewing the cap on the jar.

Again, if you don't put more stock in eating dessert, you could always pair this with baby broccoli (from Trader Joe's) or regular broccoli, trimmed with long, thin stems still attached to the crowns.

Off to my brownies I go...

3 comments:

  1. I gotta give these seasoned tofus a whirl sometime! I need to stop cooking with run-of-the-mill tasteless tofu.

    I really like how you involved Moffit in your post! :) So cute! She looks as if she's ready to catch any food that mommy accidentally drops on the ground while cooking or eating.

    Btw, I don't know how you do 100 calories or less. That's like one of those snacker packs. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's how I do it -- by following it up with either:

    1.) Beer
    2.) Eating enough homemade treats to total, at the least, 700 calories. :)

    So, 700 plus 100 from what I consider to be "real" food my body can use for fuel, and it's pretty easy to only eat 100 calories of tofu! Let's just put it this way, thanks to my baking adventures, I never go to bed hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to try this now...
    oh silly Moffit

    ReplyDelete